A Year of Self/World/Life Discovery

Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Last Day

After my antisocial bender for a few days I deemed my final day in Thailand dedicated to the exploring a new beach. I soon found out it was going to be one of the most memorable...After a short water taxi ride I arrived in yet another beautiful beach village. I did my usual storming of the street (yes, there was just one) and I liked it all the better. No crowds of tourists to be bothered with nor belligerent young backpackers - I was off to a good start.
As I made my way through the dirt paths that led into the surrounding forest I stumbled upon a cave. Being the only person inside a huge cave was a moment of Zen I needed. Not a sound besides my own breath could be heard as my eyes traced the every crevasse of the glimmering stone walls. 
Continuing on my journey I wandered along different trails exploring what other adventures lied ahead. A tattered wooden sign indicated a lagoon up ahead and that word sparked some curiosity. Then there was ROPE...Having made friends with some fellow backpackers from Norway we decided to make the trek across this mountainous trail scaling by rope. Let me tell you, an hour later, climbing stone rocks in sandals, with sweat dripping down my face made this lagoon all the less enticing. But we knew we had to get there. Phrase of the day was "Cole, this better be worth it!" from both myself and my frustrated counterparts. 

We finally arrived in total awe. Trust. This majestic spot made "Blue Lagoon" look like a swamp. Pictures couldn't capture this memorable spot. Floating in the turquoise water with a few new friends was another piece of Zen to add to my day. We finally decided it was time to hit Railay Beach so we made the climb back in muddy disarray and laid in the white floury sand for hours...
The sun began its descent into the vast sparkling ocean and it was time for me to say "Sawatdee" to my new companions. Always the part of traveling I despise most. I knew however that along our travels around the world we would pay it forward with new adventures and new friends. The perfect last day in my Thai paradise... 

1 comment: