A Year of Self/World/Life Discovery

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Just One More Day!

A two night stay on Koh Phi Phi was unfathomable to me - I couldn't possibility leave this island. Time was lost but tranquility found. One night after having a chat with an ex-pat about their constant visa runs (travelers from most countries get a month) I decided to find out what date it was and that is when I realized I was now an illegal alien...

I arrived on a bus from Cambodia into Thailand and after the many dates and journeys I had done in the last 6 months my memory escaped me and I didn't realize the different rules for US citizens traveling overland (no we are NOT the most beloved country in the world) so the rules were different for me...

I was a convict on a 36 hour visa run to Malaysia whereby I was stopped and detained. Fines paid. Paperwork filled out. Thorough warnings verbally and physically ingrained in my passport. I hopped in the back of a pickup truck bound for Malay and as soon as I touched foreign soil found another truck to jump in going back to Thailand hoping to hide from the same immigration officer. Dodgy I know, but all I wanted to do was get back to my island home!

After making friends with ex-pats who lived there and fellow travelers I found myself...10 days later still unable to leave Phi Phi. I finally decided it was time to move on but I will never forget the fun I had and the people I met on that beautiful island. Will be visiting again soon...

I told you it was paradise...

No comments:

Post a Comment