A Year of Self/World/Life Discovery

Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Wall

As I arrived in Berlin I became more and more excited to explore one of the most important epicenters of world history. Out the train window were grandiose buildings and amazing architecture. Though a city once divided by political hostility, it felt as though the citizens were prideful in both their diversity as well as the importance of their world presence.

The Berlin Wall or "Wall of Shame" (Willy Brant) is one of the most important pieces of the city's history and I spent a lot of time trying to capture what I both saw and felt. It is hard to imagine the literal separation between one's homeland. Like a border between two countries it stood tall and robust. The graffiti and destruction of the Wall in 1990 was powerful as I imagined the joy of the people finally able to unite their motherland...

No comments:

Post a Comment