A Year of Self/World/Life Discovery

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Fields

After my visit to S-21 I thought my day couldn’t get any more depressing until I arrived at the Killing Fields – the gravesites of prisoners. If you weren’t murdered prior to arrival this was the last place they would ever see. Under that very soil were the remains of nearly half of Cambodia’s population during the war. All at the hands of one evil man who’s namesake was Pol. Pot (political potential) – in actuality the potential for hell on earth. As I saw the remains of bones, skulls, and tattered clothing I was sick to my stomach and had a moment of terror in a paralytic state while a rush of painful chill ran through my veins.

If you have been to any site of genocide it is something you will never forget. Even in our most hopeless state of misery all it takes is one reflection on an experience like that to bring us back to clarity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment